Flores Island is part of the Nusa Tenggara region of Indonesia. It is considered one of the top islands in the world for backpackers. The Trans-Flores highway runs along the entire island, and is a great way to explore the island. Getting a driver is the best option and is affordable, especially if you split the costs with other travelers.
Labuanbajo, Flores Island , Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia (#13, Gorgeous, if slightly ramshackle harbor town w/ trips to many islands. Main drag, J1 Soekarno Hatta, is lined with cool bars and cafes
- Jl Soekarno Hatta Street, Labuanbajo (Town’s main drag lined with cool cafes, accommodations, travel agents, and bars)
- Cunca Wulang Cascades ½ day trek, Labuanbajo, Flores
- Flores Spa, Labuanbajo, Flores ($8 massages)
Komodo Island, Komodo National Park, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia (One of the world’s most famous islands, backpacker favorite, home to the Komodo Dragons, Lesser Sunda Island Chain, pink beach, UNESCO)
Padar Island, Komodo National Park, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia (Made famous from pictures, hike to top takes 30 minutes, UNESCO)
Rinca Island, Komodo National Park, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia (Lesser Sunda Island Chain; Another Island with Dragons, UNESCO)
Kanawa Island, Nusa Tenggara, Malaysia (1.5hr boat trip from Labuan Bajo; 1 hotel: $37-$47/night)
Bidadari Island, Labuanbajo, Flores (great coral, crystal clear water)
Waecicu Island, Labuanbajo, Flores
Kukusan Isand, Labuanbajo, Flores (tiny offshore island, great snorkeling)
Ruteng, Manggarai Country, Flores, Indonesia
- Spiderweb Rice Fields/Agape Café (20 minutes west of town)
Lianf Bua limestone cave, Flores, Indonesia (where the remains of the Flores hobbits were found.
Wae Ebo, Flores, Indonesia (remote traditional village. Involves a 10km hike of 4 hours past waterfalls and swimming holes. Stay at village. About $45/pp incl guide/room/and dance/music demonstrations and local weaving classes. Supposed to be an amazing experience in an incredibly beautiful area.
Repi, Flores, Indonesia (SW coast of Flores, small town where tourism is starting to take hold and stop dynamite fishing and turtle egg hunting. 3km beach is haven for leatherback, hawksbill and green turtles. Good place to support with tourist dollars.)
Bajawa, Flores, Indonesia (laid back hill town at 3600’ is a great base to explore dozens of traditional villages that are home to the Ngada people. Hot Springs
- Bena, Bajawa, Flores, Indonesia (one of the most traditional villages. Outstanding stone monuments are the region’s best.
- Luba, Bajawa, Flores, Indonesia (about 2km from Bena; tucked into the jungle and more intimate.
- Tolo Leka, Bajawa, Flores, Indonesia (4km walk from Bena to seldom visited village)
- Belaragi, Bajawa, Flores, Indonesia (accessible only by trail)
Riung Island, Flores, Indonesia (lush, isolated with fishing shacks and rice fields, coconut palms
17 Islands Maine Park, Flores, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia (charter a boat to the islands for relaxing, snorkeling and island hoping)
- Ontoloe Island, 17 Islands Maine Park, Flores (mangrove isle where a massive colony of flying foxes roost
- Rutong Island, 17 Islands Maine Park, Flores (lovey white sand beach)
- Temba Island, 17 Islands Maine Park, Flores (picturesque and wild white sand beach)
- Tiga Island, 17 Islands Maine Park, Flores (great snorkeling and beaches)
Ende, Flores, Indonesia
Mt Kelimutu Volcano, Kelimutu National Park, Flores, Indonesia (20 minute hike takes you to an overlook of three crater lakes, each a different color: Green, blue, red)
Detusoko, Flores, Indonesia
Paga, Flores, Indonesia (string of beaches that are the stuff of fantasy; rooms $15 in new hotel. Classic area that is going to be huge and pricey in 5-20 years, but sleepy right now. One of the best beachfront fish houses in Flores – Mains: $3-5, comparable to a $75-$100 meal in U.S.; Snapper and Tuna the specialties)
Sikka, Flores, Indonesia
Lela, Flores, Indonesia
Maumere, Flores, Indonesia (beachfront Bungalows for $11)
- Ahuwair beach, Maumere, Flores
- Wodong beach, Maumere, Flores
- Waiterang beach, Maumere, Flores
- Maumere beach, Maumere, Flores
Larantuka, Flores, Indonesia (bustling Christian-majority Port town. Gateway to Alor.