Mataram, Lombok (capital city)
- Pura Meru Temple, Mataram, Lombok (Largest and second most important temple in Lombok)
- Pura Lingsar Temple, Mataram, Lombok (Most holiest temple in Lombok)
- Lembar, Mataram, Lombok (main port for ferries to Bali)
Southwest Lombok Secret Gili Islands, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Different set of islands than more famous Gili’s, 12 islands in total
- Gili Gede (Can take a boat from Gili Air or Gili T.; The most popular island for day-trippers, utterly serene. A couple isolated places to stay. Queen bungalow for $35/day)
- Gili Asahan (Backpacker favorite, you can take a boat from Gili Air or Gili T. Takes about 2-3 hours to circle the island walking. Unspoiled, little tourism)
- Gili Layar: One resort, best beach.
- Gili Ringit: Uninhabited, good snorkeling and corals.
- Gili Nanggu: Maybe best of the SW Gilis. Great snorkeling.
Bangko Bangko, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Home to one of Asia’s legendary surf breaks, Tanjung Desert. Bamboo Bungalows for $25/night.
Senggigi, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Traditional beach resort town on sweeping bays, modest amount of visitors, good value. Area spans 10km of coastal road. Nice hotel rooms at $20/night. Very nice oceanfront/beachfront rooms in resorts $50/night.
- Pura Batu Bolong Temple, Senggigi, Bali (seaside temple, Lombok’s most appealing temple)
- Hallo Lombok Spa, Senggigi ($5 massages)
Southwest Peninsula Beaches, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: White sand beach after white sand beach)
North & Central Lombok
Bangsal to Bayan Road: Runs through market towns with glimpses of the coast through lush green slopes
- Sire, Lombok, Indonesia (tropical chic, gorgeous resorts in the bamboo/thatched roof motif, expensive area. Hidden and points out towards 3 Gili’s)
Senaru, Lombok: Series of scenic villages merge into one along steep road with sweeping volcano and sea views. Town to do the trek to Mount Rinjani’s summit)
Mount Rinjani, Lombok, Indonesia: Crater lake, hot springs, smoking mini cone; generally a 3 day/2 night guide trip to summit – about $250-300 /pp for high quality guide service – includes guide/porter/food/cooks/accommodations, gear, etc.; Indonesia’s second highest peak at 12,220’.
Sembalun Valley, Lombok: High on eastern slopes of Mount Rinjani, this valley is the level of a mythical Shangri-La. Two main settlements Sembalun Lawaung and Sembalun Bumbung. countryside quilted with crops.
- Sembalun Valley Drives, Lombok: Any road is spectacular; drive north to Koko Putih passes through rich cashew forests.
- Aikmel to Sembalun Lawang: 60 km drive through higher slopes with tropical rain forest with an array of wildflowers and black and gray monkeys along the entire route.
Tetebatu, Lombok: Spring feed streams create countryside quilted with tobacco, rice, orchards, cow pastures and tiny towns fading into forests of waterfalls and monkeys. Ideal area for long country walks. Nice resort room with magical rice terrace views for $30/night – nicest place in valley; bamboo bungalow on rice terraces with nice amenities for $15/night.
South Lombok (Area of really nice beaches, dry side of island)
Praya, Lombok: Airport town, Dutch colonial relic)
- Sukarara Street, Praya (domain of textile shops, incredible array of hand woven textiles including inexpensive real silver and gold threated cloth. Great to place to buy fabric for high end clothing. World class tailors in SE Asia for 1/20 price in NYCs best at equal quality if you spend time vetting tailors)
- Penujak, Pyaya (High quality pottery)
Kuta, Lombok, Indonesia: World-class beach, with reef 300m off shore; great white sand beach, great surfing at reef. But ideal for swimming at shore and snorkeling at reef.
- Tanjung Aan beach, Lombok
- Pantai Segar beach, Lombok
Gerupuk, Lombok: Village earns its money from fishing and lobster exports. However big resort going in)
Ekas, Lombok: sleepy little village in beach heaven
- Heaven Beach, Ekas, Lombok
- Pantai Dagong beach, Ekas, Lombok
- Pantai Mawan beach, Lombok (half moon bay with nice beach backed by headlands.
- Pantai Areguling beach, Lombok
Selong Blanak, Lombok: Most beautiful beach in Kuta, and maybe Lombok; loungers rent for $2/day. Surfboards $7/day.
Labuhan, Lombok: Town for ferry rides to Sumbawa
East Lombok Secret Gilis, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Generally a day trip island hoping tour)
- Gili Kondo: Popular camping island, has a snack shop. Locals come on weekends/holidays.
- Gili Bidara: Ok beach, good snorkeling,
- Gili Kapal (Gosong): Tiny sand island
- Gili Lampu (Petagan): Mangrove island, great snorkeling
Gili Trawangan (Gili T), Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Most cosmopolitan, vibrant bar/party scene; bicycle rental $4/day. More than 5,000 rooms on the island, still often booked – needs reservations. $30 gets a nice room)
Gili Air, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Nice drinking/eating options without Gili T’s crowds and party atmosphere. 90 minutes to walk around island.
Gili Meno, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia: Smallest Island, and least developed. Has a Robinson Crusoe type charm.